After School Program
Longfellow’s doors are open to your children, even after the last bell rings at 2:15 PM! Our faculty and staff, parents and community are partners in our dedication to providing children the best possible educational environment -- including after the school day is over. Through our after-school opportunities at Longfellow, we hope your children will view their school as not only a great place to learn, but a place to develop new interests, make good friendships and have fun in the process.
With that in mind, we offer three different after-school options for students:
- Academic Assistance
- After-school weekly Clubs and Activities
- The Homework Club daily program
These options are explained in more detail below. In addition, please note the following guidelines about staying after school at Longfellow:
- Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays are club/activity days. After dismissal, participating students must report directly to their specific activity by 2:25 p.m.
- Late bus transportation is offered on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. Late buses begin arriving at 4:15. If your child is considerably late returning home on a late bus, please contact the Office of Transportation Services at Area 4, 703-249-7100. After 5:00 PM you can also call School Security at 571-423-2000.
- In the case of early closing due to inclement weather or emergency conditions, all after-school activities will be canceled and all bus students will be sent home on their regular buses.
- The same school rules apply after school as during the regular part of the school day. Students must be in good standing to participate in after-school activities and must be passing in all core subjects. Disciplinary problems may result in suspension from after-school activities.
- Our mission is to ensure the success of each member of the Longfellow family. All of our teachers are available at least one day a week to meet after school with students who would like extra academic help. You or your child may contact the teacher to find out their after-school availability. Please note that if your child plans to take the late bus home, they are expected to remain in the classroom until 4:15.
After-School Clubs and Activities
- Middle School is an exciting time for children to discover and explore new interests, and at Longfellow, we encourage them to do so by offering a wide variety of after-school clubs and activities. This is also a wonderful way for students to make new friendships and have some fun while they learn!
After School Clubs and Activities Schedule
- Clubs usually meet once a week, on Mondays, Wednesdays or Thursdays from 2:25 to 3:25 p.m. However, students can stay after school Monday-Friday from 2:15-5:00. For more information about a particular club, please contact the club sponsor.
- Intramurals are scheduled throughout the year. Please check with Mr. Barrows if you have any questions. All students in good standing will be eligible to participate in intramurals.
- Service Learning (Community Service) Hours -- Important information for 8th graders.
Riding a Different School Bus Home
If your student is going home with another student, both sets of parents are required to send a signed permission note to the office by 12:00 p.m. on the day your student will be riding a different bus. Your student will then receive a pass from the main office that will allow him or her to board a different bus.
If you want your student to ride a different bus on a regular basis (even short-term), please send in a signed permission note that lists the exact dates your student needs to board another bus. Your student will then receive a pass to board the bus for these dates. The bus transportation phone number is 703-249-7100 for any issues with bus transportation.