Requirements and Opportunities for Completing your hours
Service Learning 2020-21
Service learning has long been encouraged for students in FCPS during their middle school career. Due to the unique challenges associated with COVID-19 Longfellow recognizes that many students and families are in very different places in regards to service learning this year. The following changes are being implemented to Service Learning for the 2020-21 school year:
- Expectations: Students are expected to complete 15 hours of service during middle school.
- Assessment: Teachers will assess learning through reflection assignments, when appropriate.
- X2VOL: X2VOL Is a program which tracks students’ volunteer hours. LMS will offer a training for students on how to use this program.
- Classroom Opportunities: LMS teachers will work to provide in class activities that will meet service learning expectations.
- Community Opportunities: LMS teachers will build into their curriculum citizenship awareness and service learning as opportunities in the community present themselves.
- Family Guidance:
- Students, in collaboration with their parents, should set their own goals for service learning hours based upon their own situation. We understand that this may not be possible for all students this year.
There is NO expectation that students leave their homes to complete their Service Learning expectation.